Sunday, July 14, 2013

For Jesus, Neighbor is a Verb

8 Pentecost, Cp10, July 14, 2013   
Deut. 30:9-14   Ps.25:3-9  
Col. 10:25-37  Luke 10:25-37 

  Have you ever experienced in a time of need the kindness of strangers?
  In 1975, I decided to make my Journey East, to the walk the Razor’s Edge, in a Passage to India. (My apologies to Hermann Hesse, Somerset Maugham and E.M. Forrester whom I happen to be reading at the time).
I had gone through Afghanistan, Herat, Kandahar and Kabul (saw the Bamiyan Buddhas….the one destroyed by the Taliban).  I had passed through the Khyber Pass into Pakistan and then into the Punjab region of Northwest India; I spent several days in New Delhi before arriving in Agra.  One goes to Agra to see the Taj Mahal and it was all and more than I expected.  I also took day trips to Fatehpur Sikri to a complex built by the same dynasty and I returned to Agra in preparation to leave to go to the north through Darjeeling of tea fame, toward Nepal.   I left my hotel with my back pack in tow; got a ride on a rickshaw to the train station to wait for the train.  Sudden I was overtaken by fever and the worst feelings of nausea imaginable.  I decided to take on some fluids because the weather was hot and humid.  I purchased two bottles of orange Fanta and sat on a bench to wait for the train.  I weakened, so much so that I begin to lie on the bench.   And then I vomited; what a sight, here I was on an island train bench in an incredible large puddle of bright orange Fanta (I’ve never drunk an orange Fanta again in my life).   I had been struck by the infamous Delhi Belly.  Alone in a train station with thousands of unknown Indians.  Too weak to even get up and I knew I could not take the train.  As I lay there, my eyes were drawn to the area underneath the opposite train platform and what did I see?  It was teeming with rats.  How’s that for an image of helplessness?
  A young man saw my situation and asked me if I needed help.  I told him that I probably had a very bad case of amoebic dysentery and that I would need some medicine.  This young man from Calcutta, helped me get up and get into a rickshaw; he asked about a local doctor and took me to a local doctor who gave me some medicine.  This young man took me back to my hotel where I spent several days recovering.  I tried to give him some money for his trouble but he would not take it; after I insisted he finally took a few Rupees for his train fare back to Calcutta.
  The kindness of a stranger.  This is the parable of the Good Samaritan that Jesus told when a young lawyer had recited to him the ancient summary of the Law: And love your neighbor as yourself.  The young lawyer interested in getting some legal qualifying information from Rabbi Jesus, asked a very dangerous question.  “And who is my neighbor?”
   Behind this question was really another question.  Who am I required to love?  The hated Romans?  The Samaritans?
  The lawyer was assuming like we often do a very limited meaning of the word “neighbor.”  Neighbor often means those who live closest to us in our immediate vicinity.  Neighbor is mostly used as a passive concept; we get designated as a neighbor because of where we live.  In the passive notion of neighbor we do not have to do anything to be designated as a neighbor.
  The parable of the Good Samaritan explodes the passive notion of being a neighbor.  And who is my neighbor? Wrong question. The question is: Am I a person who acts in a kind and neighborly way to the people who are brought into close proximity with me in my daily life?
  Jesus changes the word neighbor from being a noun into being a verb.  Yes, you are a neighbor by being in proximity to other people but neighbor is also a verb and let conjugate this verb.  I neighbor, you neighbor, he or she neighbors, we neighbor, they neighbor.  Past tense:  I neighbored.  We neighbored.  Future tense:  I will neighbor.  We will neighor.
  With the parable of the Good Samaritan (maybe that would be a good name for a hospital)  Jesus also expanded the meaning of being a good neighbor.  When is it the most difficult time to be a good neighbor?  When it is terribly inconvenient.  Exigent, arising emergencies are very inconvenient; they happen on no one’s schedules.  Accidents are not planned; they just happen and they are very inconvenient.
  The story of the Good Samaritan has the added dimension of the challenge of the inconvenient.  The notion of the suddenly random inconvenient event is the ultimate test of being a neighbor.  Ironically, people often are heroic in event of emergencies.  In fires, accidents, hurricanes, tornadoes, often people will be neighborly in heroic ways.
  Let us remember today the very dynamic notion of neighbor which we learn from the parable of the Good Samaritan.  The notion of neighbor is defined on a continuum of being a recipient of acts of compassion and empathy and being the one who performs acts of compassion and empathy.
  When you and I are in need of acts of kindness, we want to be regarded as neighbors. And we want someone to be an active neighbor towards us.  And we need to be ready to receive kindness from people who may not be our normal every day acquaintances.   And we too need to be active neighbors and be willing to respond in emergencies when it is inconvenient.  We need to know that anyone who is in need is our neighbor and respond accordingly.

  Let us learn from Jesus regarding this very expansive notion of neighbor.  Let us know that as disciples of Jesus we live today to have our hearts and lives be educated toward greater love and compassion.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayers for Easter, 2024

Sunday, 6 Easter, May 5, 2024 God of Love, let us receive each day greater love, surpassing love to meet the needs of love and justice which...