Sunday, May 31, 2015

A Call to God in Heaven

Trinity Sunday  cycle b May 31, 2015
Isaiah 6:1-8  Psalm 29
Romans 8:12-17   John 3:1-17


3 preachers all with cell phones

Catherine:  In the name of God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.  Amen.  You may be seated.  If you will excuse me for a minute.  I have to make a phone call, a special phone call on Trinity Sunday. (begins to call)

Rylie: Catherine, who are you calling?  And in the middle of church?  Really, isn't that a bit rude.  Well, I guess at least you're not preaching and texting.  You could get a ticket for that.  But really, who is so important for you to call during the sermon?

Catherine: Rylie, I am calling God of course!  I really needs some help with some answers for Trinity Sunday.

Rylie:  What do you need help with?

Catherine:  It's the math that I don't get.

Rylie:  Math?  What do you mean?

Catherine:  Well the math of the Trinity is this: One plus one plus one equals One.

Rylie: O, I get it.  Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  Three persons, but One God.

Andrew:(answers the phone)  Hello, you have reached Heaven Incorporated.  Press 1 if you have an emergency prayer request.  Press two, if you would like to speak to the Blessed Virgin Mary, press 3, if you would like to speak to Jesus.  Press 4, if you would like to speak to the Holy Spirit and press 5 if you would like to speak to the Father.

Catherine: I just want to speak to God.

Andrew: Please press a number so that your call can be processed in the order that it was received.

Catherine: Wow!  The phone line to heaven must be busy but I didn't expect such a long wait.  I mean, aren't you God?  Shouldn't you be able to handle all calls at once?

Andrew: Hi, Catherine, how are you today?

Catherine: How did you know me?

Andrew: Well, I am God, after all, so I know everyone.

Catherine: But I thought that I was getting a recorded message.

Andrew:  Well, I sometimes like to play a joke on human beings by pretending to act like they do.  Did you think it was funny?

Rylie:  Who are you talking too?  Did you get through?

Catherine: I'm talking to God,  shhhh.

Rylie:  You have to like someone who answers his own phone.

Catherine: Well, God, I guess it is funny for you to pretend to be human.  We can sometimes be very funny in our foolishness.  But who am I speaking to?

Andrew:  You are speaking to God, of course.

Catherine: But am I speaking to the Father, the Son or to the Holy Spirit now?

Andrew: Well, now you are speaking to the Father.

Rylie:  Which one are you talking to?

Catherine: The Father.

Rylie: Tell him hi, for me.  Okay?

Catherine: Father, I needs some help.  I am preaching today on Trinity Sunday at St. John's and I need to know how to tell my friends about the Trinity.   I went to Father Phil for help and he said to just tell them that the Trinity is a mystery.  Big help!  Nancy Drew and the Hardy boys are mysteries and they always solve their mysteries.  But what about the Mystery of the Trinity?  How do I solve it?

Andrew:  Well, the Trinity is a very big Mystery but that shouldn't be a surprise.  The universe is so big and people are so small that there will always be things which people do not understand and so there will always be mysteries for human beings.

Catherine:  So, we just have to accept that we are small and that there will always be mysteries?

Rylie:  I love mysteries; what is God saying about mysteries?

Catherine:  Hold on, Rylie, I am trying to get some answers.  So Father, you want me to accept the mystery of God?

Andrew:  You have no choice because I am bigger than you and I contain you; you do not contain me.

Catherine: What does that mean?

Andrew:  It means that you live and move and have your being within my Great Being.

Rylie:  Can I talk to God too?

Catherine: Just answer your phone.  You're on a conference call.

Rylie:  Hello, your majesty.  Am I suppose curtsy or bow?  How am I to address you?

Andrew: Well, you can respect me by just being my child and my friend.

Rylie: Well, that's really cool.  But like Catherine, I have questions about you.  Some of my friends who believe in One God, say that we Christians have three gods, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.  So are you three or are you One?

Andrew:  Well I am three and I am One.  But let me explain.  First of all what are we using to communicate with each other?

Catherine:  We are using language.  We are talking?

Andrew: Well, as God, I am greater than language but I have to allow myself to be translated into ways that people can understand me.  But I am always more than language and more than what can be said about me.

Rylie:  So we can never understand all of God?


Andrew:  Yes that it right, but I have given you enough to understand about me so that you can progress to live the very best of your human lives.

Catherine:  But why did you choose to be translated as Father, Son and Holy Spirit?

Andrew: What is the best thing about being a human being?

Rylie:  I guess it is being a person.  A person is someone who has relationships with other people.

Andrew:  You are right Rylie.  Being a person is what is the greatest thing about human life.  People were made in my image and if being a person is what is best about human life, then being a person is very important to understand who I am as God.  What is important  to understand about me is that I am not just a collection of all of the atoms of the universe as some big machine.  You are not a machine, you are a person and so you are different from a machine.  I am a Person who made all people to be like me in some way so that we could have a relationship.

Catherine:  So why are you Father?  

Andrew:  As Father, you understand that I have been before everything and everything was born or created out of me.  And as Father of the universe I want you to know that I love and care for everyone and everything as a good parent would care for a child.

Rylie:  Could I speak to Jesus?

Andrew: Hello, Rylie, I am now Jesus.  How can I help you?

Rylie: Jesus, why are you the Son of God and why do we need you to be known as the Son of God?

Andrew:  Well, being God means that God is  so great that people might think that a great God does not understand them and their problems.  Do you like people to try to understand you in  everything that happens to you?

Catherine: I do.  It is called empathy.  Sometimes we say, "Don't judge another person until you've walked a mile in their shoes."

Andrew: Yes, that is exactly correct.  God wants all people to know that God knows what they are feeling.  And to prove it, I was sent to live as a fully human person so that you could know that God is really close to how you think and feel.  And because I lived as a human being and showed you a relationship with God as my Father, you can be my sisters and brothers and you can know God as your Father too.

Rylie: I like that Jesus.  You sure walked more than a mile in our shoes to show us how much God cares for us.  But now can I talk to the Holy Spirit?

Andrew: Here I am Rylie, the Holy Spirit.  Some call me the Comforter.  I like to comfort people.

Catherine:  How can you comfort us Holy Spirit?  

Andrew:  Well, you know when you were a baby and your parents went out of your sight and you could not see them?  You got worried that they might not be with you anymore because you felt you could only believe that your parents existed if you could see them or hear them.

Catherine: Yes, I remember that.  Sometimes it was frightening to think that my parents were gone.

Andrew:  But were they gone?  Did they still love you when you could not see them?

Catherine:  Yes, they did and it soon became like they were with me always even when I did not see them.

Andrew: Well, I, the Holy Spirit are like the invisible but real presence of God wherever you go.  I am more present to you than even your parents because I help hold the entire world together with my presence all of the time.  And even when your parents are not perfect, I still am with you to comfort you.

Rylie: Wow! God, you are great and wonderful.

Catherine: But God you also understand us and are our Friend.

Andrew: Now I am God speaking in all three voices at once.  I am great and big but I want to be understood by you and everyone and so I allow myself to come into the language and experiences of people so that they can know my greatness.  If people know the greatness of God then they will have a perfect model for improving their lives at all times.  Any other questions?


Catherine: Not a question but I just want to thank you God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit for making yourself known to me and to all people.

Rylie: Yes, Thank you God, Daddy, Brother, and friendly Holy Ghost.  I am glad that you are with me always.

Catherine:  We'll hang up now. God.  Bye for now.   I think that all of these people have been on the conference call with us to understand a little more about God.    And even though we have not solved the mystery of the Trinity.  We have enjoyed the mystery of God as Father, Son and Holy Spirit.  Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayers for Easter, 2024

Sunday, 5 Easter, April 28, 2024 Christ the Vine, through you flows the holy sap of our connectedness with God and all things because the ex...