Sunday, May 13, 2018

Is Mom a Prayer Ninja?

7 Easter  B    May 13, 2018
Acts 1:15-17, 21-26   Psalm 1
1 John 5:9-13  John 17:6-19

Lectionary Link


Georgie came home from school one day and said to his mom, "Mom, did you come to school today?"  His mom said, "No, Georgie, I was not at your school today; why do you ask?"  Georgie said, "Well, when I was at school, it felt like you were there.  I thought someone was behind me rubbing my back and shoulder.  And I would turn around to greet you and then not see you.  Why did I think and feel and act like you were with me?"  Mom said to Georgie, "Georgie, I've got a little secret; I am like a silent Ninja Mom.  I can make you feel like I'm with you even when I'm not."  Georgie said, "Wow!  Is that for real?  How do you do that?"  Mom said, "Well, I'm not really a Ninja Mom, but I do have a secret."  Georgie said, "What is your secret?"  Mom said, "Well, I pray for you all of the time.  And because I pray for you, I feel connected with you all of the time.  It is like the thoughts of my prayers develop long reaching arms and hands and follow you around during the day when I cannot be with you.  So when I pray for you, it is like I am magically with as a Ninja Mom."  Georgie said, "Wow!  That's cool.  So when I alone, I can just think about you.  When it is dark in my bedroom at night, I can know that you are with me."  Mom said, "That is right Georgie, but also when you thinking about taking a cookie from the cookie jar right before dinner, I am there with you too."  Georgie said, "I guess that is when I would pretend you're not with me.  But why are we connected with prayers?"

Mom said, "Jesus was God's Special Son.  He prayed to his Father and he always felt connected with God his Father.  Jesus also prayed for his disciples and friends.  He asked that they might feel connected to him even when they did not see him.  He prayed that they might have a relationship with God the Father, like the one he shared with God his Father.  And when Jesus did not see the disciples; when he was gone from this earth, his prayers reached out and touched his disciples because he left his Holy Spirit inside of each of his disciples.  This is how we can be connected with each other even when we don't see each other.  And when we pray for each other we can celebrate our connection."


Georgie asked,"Mom, can I be a prayer Ninja too?  Can I reach and connect to you and dad and nana and papa when I pray?"  Mom said, "Yes, you can and I am very happy to know that you will pray for me."


Georgie said, "Mommy, Happy Mother's Day.  I love you.  Thank you for being a special Prayer Ninja for me."


Mom said," Georgie, Let us thank Jesus who prays for us and helps us each to be prayer Ninjas."  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayers for Easter, 2024

Wednesday in 4 Easter, April 24, 2024 (Genocide Remembrance Day) God of love, let the rainbow in the sky be a sign to us that the destructio...