Sunday, April 29, 2012

Gospel Puppet Show on Good Shepherd Sunday


4 Easter b  April 29, 2012
Acts 4:5-12  Psalm 23

1 John 3:1-8     John 10:11-16



Puppet characters
Jesus
Shepherd boy: Pete
Goat: Shoe

Pete and Shoe are together

Pete: I am sad today because I want to be a famous shepherd like King David but my big brothers and sisters get to watch the sheep.   My dad gave me just one goat to watch.  And my goat is named Shoe.  I named him shoe because when he was younger he ate someone’s shoe.

Shoe: Well, I was hungry and shoes are made of leather.  And leather is just like a very tough steak.  Leather is cow hide so it is steak meat.  And I have strong teeth to eat it and I have a very strong stomach to digest the leather steak.

Pete:  That’s silly.  And you can’t be eating our shoes.  We have to wear our shoes.  And I have to watch a goat named Shoe who eats shoes.

Shoe: I’m sorry but I’m sad too.

Pete:  Why are you sad?

Shoe:  Well, I wish I was not a goat.

Pete:  Why not?  What’s wrong with being a goat?

Shoe:  Well, I’d rather be a sheep.  The sheep have all of the fun.   They get to go on all of the good trips into the meadows.  They get to go to the best feeding spots and I get to eat garbage.  Is that fair?

Pete:  Well, my sister sure likes goat’s milk and we make good cheese from goat’s milk so goats are important.


Shoe:  I know but sheep have all of the fun and they get more attention from the shepherds.

Pete:  Well, Shoe, I’m just like you too.  I don’t get too much attention and my big brothers and sisters get to lead the big herd of sheep in the meadow and I have to stay home near you.

(Suddenly Jesus Appears)

Jesus: Hello guys!  Why are you so sad?

Shoe:  Well we can’t go into the meadow with the sheep.  And I’m just a goat and I’d rather be a sheep.  That’s why I’m sad.  And who are you?

Jesus: My name is Jesus.

Pete:  Oh, I’ve heard about you.  You are very famous.  You have been helping people to learn about God.  So why have you come to see us?  Have you come to see my mom and dad?  Have you come to see my brothers and sisters?  They are out in the meadows with the sheep.

Shoe:  Jesus, are you a shepherd?

Jesus:  No, I’m not.  My earthly father Joseph was a carpenter so I learn to build things with wood.

Pete: Why did you come here?

Jesus:  I came to see you?

Pete:  Why did you come to see me?

Shoe:  Why did you come to see me?

Jesus:  I came to see you because I know that you are sad.  I know that you are feeling left alone.  I know that you are feeling neglected.  I want you to know that I care for you.  You know that I am like a shepherd of people too.  Whenever I see someone who is sad or in need I want to come and help them.  So I came to see you.

Pete:  Wow, Jesus, you are a very good Shepherd!  It is wonderful that you came just to see us and to help make us feel better.

Shoe:  Yes, that is very nice.  And now I don’t feel so bad about being a goat because I know that you care for me.

Jesus:  Shoe don’t wish to be a sheep, just be yourself.  That is the way you are and the way I like you….except you should stop eating shoes; that might get you into trouble.

Pete:  Jesus you are a very good shepherd.  And I’m glad that you are our shepherd.  You have taken good care of us.

Jesus:  I came to this world to be a good shepherd for everyone.  And I came to this world to teach everyone to be good shepherds.


Pete:  How can we be good shepherds?  I really want to be a good shepherd.

Jesus:  You can be a good shepherd when you take care of the people and animals that need help.  Pete you are a very good shepherd for Shoe and he’s a goat.

Pete: Thank you Jesus for teaching us about being good shepherds.

(Jesus leaves)

Shoe:  Pete, can I ask the boys and girls a question?

Pete: Sure!

Shoe: Boys and girls, will you be good shepherds too?  Will you be kind and help everyone who is in need?  Will you be kind to goats?

Can I have your shoe to eat for breakfast?   No?  Bye bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayers for Easter, 2024

Sunday, 5 Easter, April 28, 2024 Christ the Vine, through you flows the holy sap of our connectedness with God and all things because the ex...