Sunday, March 3, 2013

Moses and the Burning Bush


March 3, 2013


Characters:
Shepherd boy. Asa
Moses
Voice of God
Sheep


Moses and Asa are watching the sheep in Midian


Asa:  Moses, why are you a shepherd?  I know that you are very smart.  I have seen you read Egyptian writing.

Moses: Well, believe it or not, I used to be a Prince in Egypt.  When I was a born, to save my life my mom put me in a floating basket.  And an Egyptian princess found me and adopted me.  And so I was raised in a palace in Egypt.

Asa:  Then what are you doing here?

Moses:  I saw that the Egyptians were harming my people and so I tried to help but my own people thought that I was too much like an Egyptian.  So, I had to run away to save my life and I ran a long, long ways away.  I came here to Midian.

Asa:  You have lived here for a long time; I know your children.

Moses:  Yes, I got married to Zipporah and we have children.  My father-in-law is a Midian priest but he also has lots of sheep so I work with him and my children get to see their grandparents.  I can’t complain.  I have a wife and family and a job.

Asa:  Moses I have to go.  I will come back tomorrow to help watch the sheep.  Bye.

Moses:  Bye Asa, thanks for the help.

(A lighted bush appears when Moses is alone with the sheep)


Moses:  O no, there is a fire in that bush over there.  I better go put out the fire.  I don’t want a fire to spread and burn up all of the good grass for my sheep.

Voice of God:  Moses, stop!  This is not a fire you can put out.  I am God and I need to get your attention.

Moses:  Well, you sure have my attention.  Wow!  Are you sure this fire won’t burn all of the grass and tree?

Voice of God: Moses, I am the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.  You know that all of the family of Jacob got stuck in Egypt after Joseph went to Egypt.

Moses:  Yes, I know.

Voice of God:  Moses, I want you to go back to Egypt and lead the children of Israel back to this place where I will give them a special law.  And I want you to lead them back into their land.

Moses:  I can’t do it God, because I already tried and the Egyptians want to kill me and my own people don’t accept me as a leader.  How can I go back?  How do I know that you are not a mirage?

Voice of God:  Well, look at this bush it seems to be burning but it does not cause a destructive fire.  This is special fire from God.  This is proof that I am God.  And you need to tell them that I have a special name.

Moses:  What is your special name?

Voice of God(profoundly):  My name is “I am that I am.”  I am that I am.  I am that am.”

Moses (bowing and cowering to the ground):  Wow, now I know that you are God and that you will help me go back to Egypt and bring my people out of slavery.  But I will need your help.

Voice of God:  Moses, go and I will help you and I will do lots of great works to convince your people Israel and the Egyptians to let them go.

(the burning bush goes away)

Moses: Wow, did I just dream?  I better go and tell my family.  I have to obey God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayers for Easter, 2024

Saturday in 4 Easter, April 27, 2024 God who is love, we extoll and overuse the word love as a superlative cliche of human existence; grant ...