Sunday, June 9, 2013

Gospel Puppet Show: God Cares for Those Who Mourn

Gospel Puppet Show
June 9, 2013
3 Pentecost

Characters:
Jesus
Disciple Peter
Widow: Miriam
Widow’s Son: Josh

(sounds of people mourning)
Peter:  Jesus, we’re coming to the village of Nain.  I see something ahead.  There must have been an accident.  Shall we go around the village to avoid the problem?

Jesus:  No Peter, let us go and see if we can help.

(arriving at the woman and a covered body)

Peter:  It looks like we're too late to help.  The son of this widow has died and they are having a funeral.  Let’s not disturb the funeral.

Jesus:  I feel very sad for this woman.  She lost her husband and now she has lost her only child.  God cares for those who are suffering and we must show her that God cares for her.

Peter: How will we do that?

Jesus:  Let's go and see.

(Jesus meets the widow)

Jesus:  What is your name?

Widow:  My name is Miriam.

Jesus:  What happened?

Widow:  My only child Josh got a really bad fever and then he died.  I lost my husband and now I have lost my son.  Now only God can help me get through this.

Jesus: Do not cry, Miriam.  God cares for widows and orphans, and I am here to prove this.

(Jesus goes to the covered body)

Jesus: Josh, Rise and get up.

(Josh, pushes the grave cloth aside)

Josh:  Wow.  Mom where am I?  Have I been in a long sleep?  And who are these people?


Widow:  Josh, you got very sick and we thought you were dead.  But this nice man Jesus came and he has now brought you back to my life.  And God has answered my prayer.  I know that God cares for me.  Thank you Jesus for showing me that God loves and cares for us.


Jesus:  Peter, this is our mission in life.

Peter: What mission?

Jesus:  It is our mission to show people about God’s love and care.  It is our mission to tell good news to people about God’s love.  Can you remember that?

Peter:  Yes, I can and do you think the boys and girls here today can remember this important mission?  Can you boys and girls remember to show everyone that God loves and cares for them?


All:  Yes we can.

Peter:  Good, then lets get to work.  Good bye!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayers for Easter, 2024

Saturday in 4 Easter, April 27, 2024 God who is love, we extoll and overuse the word love as a superlative cliche of human existence; grant ...