Saturday, June 1, 2013

Gospel Puppet Show; Healing of the Centurion's Servant Cycle c, proper 4

Gospel Puppet Show
June 2, 2013
2 Pentecost

Characters:
Claudius
Junius
Father Phil


General Claudius:  psst.  Father Phil could I talk to you?

Father Phil:  General Claudius, what are you doing here?  Shouldn’t you be off fighting a war?

General Claudius: Well, we’ve had peace for a while and I have been able to be home but I have had sadness in my house.

Father Phil:  What happened?

General Claudius:  Well, one of my employees and best friend, Junius has become very ill and I am worried about him.  I’ve taken him to all of the best doctors and they say that they have done all that they can do.  And I need a favor from you.

Father Phil:  What do you need from me?

General Claudius:  Well, you know that I have been very friendly and helpful.  I have help to build some places of worship.   You know that I respect God.  And I would like you to go asked Jesus a favor for me?

Father Phil:  What do you want me to ask him?

General Claudius:  I want you to ask him to come to my house and heal my best friend Junius.  Will you do that for me?

Father Phil: Okay but I don’t know when I am going to see him.

(Claudius leaves)

(Jesus pops us on the other side of the puppet theatre)

Jesus: Father Phil, how are you?

Father Phil:  Jesus, you frightened me.  I need to see you and talk with you.  How did you know?

Jesus: Just call it divine knowledge.  So what do you need?

Father Phil:  The Roman General Claudius said his employee and friend Junius was really sick and he heard about you and he wanted me to ask you to go to his house to heal his friend.  Can you go?

Jesus: Sure, off I go.
 (Jesus disappears…after a while Claudius reappears)

General Claudius:  Father Phil, could I speak with you again?

Father Phil:  You already are speaking with me, so continue.

General Claudius:  I don’t want to waste the time of Jesus.  I am a General and I give orders and my orders get obeyed.  Jesus is greater than I am and I am sure that he can just heal my friend without coming to my house.  I am not worthy to have such an important person as Jesus in my home.

Father Phil:  Okay, I’ll try to find Jesus again.

(Claudius disappears and Jesus reappears)

Father Phil:  Jesus, I need…..

Jesus:  Yes, you need to talk to me and tell me that General Claudius thinks that I can heal his servant without even coming to his house.  And he is correct.  I have already healed his friend.  And I think that he has great faith to believe in me even though he does not see me.

Father Phil:  Isn’t that like our faith too?

Jesus:  Yes, it is.  Only a few people get to see me and talk with me.  But many people do not see me but they still believe in me and they still know my love, goodness and health.

Father Phil:  This is the faith of all of our children here too.  They live about two thousand years after you but they still gather together because of your love and kindness.

Jesus: Yes and I salute the faith of all who don’t see me but still believe in my love and kindness.

Father Phil:  Thank you Jesus for teaching us about faith. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Truest Cliche

5 Easter       B    April 28, 2024 Acts 8:26-40 Psalm 22:24-30 1 John 4:7-21    John 15:1-8 Lectionary Link Including the word beloved which...