Sunday, September 23, 2012

What We Can Learn from a Child


Cycle B Proper 20
Gospel Puppet Show

Characters:  Jesus, Peter and John

(John and Peter are speaking)
John: I am so glad that we’re friends with Jesus.  When Jesus becomes the King of this land, I’m sure he will pick me to be his president.

Peter:  But I am closer to Jesus and I am also stronger than you are.  John, you will let people run over you.  Jesus need a strong leader to be his president.

John:  No Peter, I think that I will have the better position when Jesus is King because you lose your temper.  Jesus needs a calm person to be his president.

Peter (shouting real loud):  I don’t lose my temper.  I don’t get angry.  I just raise my voice to make a point.

John:  Well, it looks like you’re losing your temper.  In fact the other disciple think that you can be a very hot head.  That’s why Jesus needs me to be his president.

Peter: He does not.

John:  Does so.

Peter: Does not.

John Does so.

Peter: Just wait, Jesus will pick me to be his highest assistant.

John: No he won’t, he will pick me.

Jesus(suddenly appears):   Hey, Peter, hey John, what were you talking about.  I thought I heard you speaking very loudly.

Peter:  We weren’t talking about anything.

John: We were arguing about who caught the biggest fish.


Jesus: Are you sure about that?  I want to tell you something about my kingdom.  My kingdom is different from other kingdoms.

Peter: How is your kingdom different?

Jesus:  Well, in my kingdom the King is the one who serves people.  And anyone who wants to be a president also has to serve people.

John:  What kind of King is that?  Aren’t people supposed to serve the king?  Aren’t people supposed to obey the orders of the president.

Jesus: My kingdom is different than that?

Peter: But it is not like the kingdoms we know.  It’s not like the King of Rome, the Caesar or like the famous King David.

John: Jesus how do you expect us to understand your kingdom.

(Father Phil bring a baby)

Jesus: Do you see this baby?

Peter: Yes.

Jesus: If you want to understand my kingdom, you have to become like this baby.

John:  It is very hard for us to be babies again.  What do you mean?  Are you talking in riddles again?

Jesus:  Well, yes I am.  You have to become like this baby.  What I mean is that you’ve learned the wrong way and the wrong things about my kingdom.  You have to erase you’re wrong thinking.  You have to become like this baby and be re-educated again.

Peter:  But you know we have lots of habits.  You know you can’t teach an old dog, new tricks.

Jesus:  But if you learn about my kingdom and the importance of service then you will be able to learn new things.

John:  It is hard to learn new things.

Jesus:  But when serve people you get the reward of helping people and that will make you happy.  You can learn that serving and helping people is better than making them serve and help you.  And that is the secret of my kingdom.

Peter: Well, we’ve got a lot to learn.  And I have to confess now.  John and I were arguing about who would be the most important people in your kingdom.

John:  I am ashamed that I misunderstood your kingdom.  I now understand the importance of service.  And I should have known, just by watching you.

Peter:  Thank you Jesus for this lesson about serving and helping other people.

Jesus: Boys and girls, can you remember this secret about the kingdom of God?  It is all about learning how to serve and help others.  Can you remember this?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Being Befriending Neighbors

6 Easter B           May 5,2024 Acts   10:44-48      Ps. 33:1-8,18-22 1 John 4:7-21        John 15:9-17       Lectionary Link In the passing...