Sunday, May 4, 2014

Emmaus Road: Peek A Boo, I See You

3 Easter a         May 4, 2014   
Acts 2:14a,36-47   Ps. 116:10-17
1 Peter 1:17-23    Luke 24:13-35              
   How many of you have ever played the game of “Peek-a-boo?”  It is one of the first game that we probably learned to play as a baby.
  We cover our face with our hands and then we suddenly take them away.  And say “Peek-a-boo”  I see you.
  Or we cover baby’s head with a blanket, and baby pulls the blanket off and we say, “Peek-a-boo.”
  What is the meaning of this game?  I pretend to be gone away and absent.  I pretend that you cannot see me.  And then I suddenly return by saying “Peek-a-boo.”
  When you are a young baby or a child, can you see and touch your mommy and daddy all of the time?
  No, they sleep in another room; they go to work.  They go into the kitchen.  You go to preschool or school.  So sometimes we cannot see or touch or hear our mommy and daddy.  But even though we do not see, or touch or hear them we know that they still live.  We know that at anytime they can surprise us when they come to be with us.
  And that is what our Gospel story is about.  When Jesus died, they put his body in the tomb.  And suddenly his body was gone from the tomb.
  And his disciples suddenly began to have peek-a-boo games with Jesus.  Suddenly Jesus would appear to them to let them know that they were okay and he was still alive.
  And now God still plays peek-a-boo with us.   Although we don’t actual see God or Jesus.  We still know his presence.
  In the love of our parents and friends, Christ is jumping out and saying “Peek-a-boo, I love you and I care for you.”  In the fun that we have, in learning, in seeing the beautiful world that God has made for us, God also has hidden his presence.  And God is saying to us, “Peek-a-boo, I see you….I love you and I care for you.”
  And you and I, are to be God messengers for the game of Peek-a-boo.  When we are loving and kind, when we care for one another and when we help each other, Christ is saying “Peek-a-boo” to this world through us.

  So even though we don’t see or touch Christ, let us remember that Christ is still present in many, many ways and he is ready to surprise us at anytime with love and care, and he is saying, “Peek-a-boo, I see you and I love you and I care for you.”  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayers for Easter, 2024

Friday in 3 Easter, April 19, 2024 Good Shepherd Christ, when we need help please send us good shepherds; and when we see others who need he...